Dr. Rajaram Krishna Nagarale
Dr. Rajaram Krishna Nagarale
7330 / 2567760
Awards and Honours
• Ramanujan Fellow: Department of science and technology, India
• Senior research fellow: Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), India.
• Prof. G. K. Narayana Reddy Gold Medal: Karnatak University Dharwad for standing first among the successful students in Inorganic chemistry in 1999.
• Malaviya Lecture Series on Advances in Chemical Engineering on March 4,2013 at Department of Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) VARANASI 221005, Title of the talk ‘Electro-osmotic Pumps for Continuous and Pulsed Subcutaneous Drug Delivery’.
• Institute for Regenerative Engineering, University of Connecticut Health Center, Connecticut 06030, USA on 9th Jan 2014 Title of the talk ‘Redox polymer neural tissue regeneration’.
List of Publications - List of Patents:
1. PCT Patent: Electro-osmotic pumps with electrodes comprising a lanthanide oxide or an actinide oxide. Rajaram K. Nagarale, Adam Heller, Attorney’s Docket: 24266768.001000-2012-in process
2. PCT Patent: An efficient non-gassing low voltage electro-osmotic pump; Woonsup Shin, Adam Heller, Rajaram K. Nagarale; Attorney Docket No.:15967.105003; PCT Int. Appl. (2011), WO 2011112723 A2.
3. Repub. Korean Patent: Nanocomposite of ferrocene-substituted polysiloxane and chitosan and its manufacture method; Shin, Woonsup Shin, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Jong Myeong Lee; Repub. Korean Kongkae Taeho Kongbo (2011), KR 2011012463 A 20110209. Registration No. 10-1108243.
Research articles in peer reviewed journals
51. Vinay K. Sachan, A. Michael Rajesh, Niharika Panday, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Prashant K. Bhattacharya, “Basicity-based screening of aniline derivative for composite proton exchange membranes”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 133 (2016) 43978
50. Selvam Mathi, Rajaram K. Nagarale, “Argentophilic hydrogen ferrocyanide electrodes for robust electrokinetic flow in a non-gassing pump”, Journal of The Electrochemical Society; 163 (8) (2016) H657-H663.
49. Amit Kumar Sonker, Naveen Tiwari, Rajaram K Nagarale, Vivek Verma, “Synergistic effect of cellulose nano-whiskers reinforcement and dicarboxylic acids cross-linking towards polyvinyl alcohol properties”, Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, DOI: 10.1002/pola.28129. (2016)
48. Rudra Kumar, Aman Agrawal, Rajaram K Nagarale*, and Ashutosh Sharma, “High Performance Supercapacitors from Novel Metal Doped Ceria Decorated Aminated Graphene”; Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 120 (2016); 3107-3116.
47. Namdev B. Shelke, Paul Lee, Matthew Anderson, Nikhil Mistry, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Xin-Ming Ma, Xiaojun Yu, Sangamesh Kumbar, Neural Tissue Engineering: Nanofiber-Hydrogel Based Composite Scaffolds, Polymers for Advanced Technologies 27 (2016). 42-51.
46. Rudra Kumar, Kousar Jahan, Rajaram K. Nagarale*, and Ashutosh Sharma, “Electroosmotic Flow in Cell Built with Electrodes Having Two Redox Couples”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 54 (2015) 10183-10189.
45. Rudra Kumar, Kousar Jahan, Rajaram K. Nagarale*, Ashutosh Sharma, Non-gassing Long Lasting Electroosmotic Pump with Polyaniline-wrapped Aminated Graphene Electrodes, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7 (2015) 593-601.
44. Vinay K Sachan, Avaneesh K. Singh, Kousar Jahan, Sangamesh G. Kumbar, Rajaram K. Nagarale* and P. K. Bhattacharya, “Development of Redox-conducting Polymer Electrodes for Non-Gassing Electro-Osmotic Pumps: A Novel Approach” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 161(13) (2014) H3029-H3034.
43. Roshan James, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Vinay K. Sachan, Christopher Badalucco, Prashant K. Bhattacharya and Sangamesh G. Kumbara, “Synthesis and characterization of sulfonated polymeric ionic membranes for regenerative engineering application”, Polymers for Advanced Technologies 25(12) (2014) 1439-1445.
42. Harish Lakhotiya, Kunal Mondal, Rajaram K Nagarale*, Ashutosh Sharma, “Low voltage non-gassing electro-osmotic pump with zeta potential tuned aluminosilicate frits and organic dye electrodes”, RSC Advances 4 (2014) 28814-28821
41. Vinay K Sachan, Aruna Devi, Ratna Sandeep Katiyar, Rajaram. K. Nagarale* and Prashant K. Bhattacharya, Proton Transport Properties of Sulphanilic Acid Tethered Poly(Methyl Vinyl Ether-alt-Maleic Anhydride)-PVA Blend Membranes; European Polymer Journal, 56 ( 2014) 45-58.
40. Ahmed A. Nada, Roshan James, Namdev B. Shelke, Matthew D. Harmon, Hassan M. Awad, Rajaram K. Nagarale, and Sangamesh G. Kumbar; “Methodology to Fabricate Chitosan Nano fiber Matrices for Regeneration”, Polymers for Advanced Technologies 25 (5) ( 2014) 507-515.
39. Rajaram K. Nagarale* and Adam Heller, “A Simple Non-gassing DC Electroosmotic Pump: Carbon Paper/Ceramic Frit/Carbon Paper”;ChemElectroChem 1 (2014) 868-870.
38. H.D. Jiremali, Rajaram K. Nagarale, J.M. Lee, D. Sarawankumar and W. Shin, “Chitosan-Cross-linked Osmium Polymer Composites as an Efficient Platform for Electrochemical Biosensors”; ChemPhysChem, 14 (2013) 2232-2236.
37. H.D. Jiremali, Rajaram K. Nagarale, D. Sarawankumar, J.M. Lee and W. Shin, “Hydroquinone Modified Chitosan/Carbon film Electrode for the Selective Detection of Ascorbic acid”; Carbohydrate Polymers; 92 (2013) 641-644.
36 Rajaram K. Nagarale, Udo Hoss, and Aadam Heller, “Mixed Valence Metal Oxide Nanoparticles as Electrochemical Half-Cells: Substituting the Ag/AgCl of Reference Electrodes by CeO2-x Nanoparticles" Journal of the American Chemical Society, 134 ( 2012) 20783-20787.
35. Yong-Mao Lin, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Kyle C. Klavetter, C. Buddie Mullins and Adam Heller, “A Fast and Stable TiO2-Supported SnO2-Nanocomposite Lithium Ion Battery Anode”; Journal of Materials Chemistry; 22 (2012) 1134-1139.
34. Rajaram K. Nagarale*, Adam Heller, Woonsup Shin, “Micro-porosity of the Phosphosilicate-on-Silica Membrane Stabilizes the Flow the Ag/SiO2/Ag2O Electro-osmotic Pump”; Journal of The Electrochemical Society; 159(1) (2012) P14-P17.
33. Jieun Song, Zhenyu Hong, Rajaram K. Nagarale, and Woonsup Shin, “Simple Preparation of Diaphorase/Polysiloxane Viologen Polymer-Modified Electrode for Sensing NAD and NADH”; Journal of Electrochemical Science and Technology; 2(3) (2011) 163-167.
32. H.D. Jiremali, Rajaram K. Nagarale, J.M. Lee, D. Sarawankumar, and W. Shin; “Synthesis and Electrochemical Characterization of Well Ordered PEG Tethered Ferrocene Functionalized Polyacylic Acid and Its Applications to Enzyme Based biosensor”; Electroanalysis, 23(9) (2011) 2109-2115.
31. Rajaram K. Nagarale*, Bhaskar Bhattacharya, Nitin Jadhav, Pramod K. Singh; “Synthesis and Electrochemical Study of Functional Ionic Polymer”; Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 212 (2011) 1751-1757.
30. Woonsup Shin, Enhua Zhu, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Chang Hwan Kim, Jong Myung Lee, Samuel Jaeho Shin, Adam Heller “Stabilization of the Flow of the Ag/Ag2O-Ceramic Membrane Ag/Ag2O Electroosmotic Pump for Programmable Quantitative Drug Infusion”, Analytical Chemistry,. 83 (2011) 5023–5025.
29. Pramod K. Singh, Rajaram K. Nagarale and Bhaskar Bhattacharya, “Present status of solid state photoelectrochemical solar cell and dye sensitized solar cell using PEO-based polymer electrolytes”, Advances in Natural Sciences : Noanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2(2011) 023002 (13PP).
28. Woonsup Shin, Samuel Jaeho Shin, Jong Myung Lee, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Adam Heller, “A Miniature, Single Use, Skin-Adhered, Low-Voltage, Electroosmotic Pumping-Based Subcutaneous Infusion System”, Drug Delivery and Translational Research 1 (2011) 342–347.
27. Woonsup Shin, Jong Myung Lee, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Samuel Jaeho Shin, and Adam Heller, “An Efficient 0.5 V Electroosmotic Pump”; Journal of the American Chemical Society 133 (2011) 2374-2377.
26. Pramod K. Singh, B. Bhattacharya, and R.K. Nagarale*; “Effect of nano-TiO2 dispersion on PEO polymer electrolyte property”; Journal of Applied Polymer Science 118 (2010) 2976–2980.
25. D. Quan, R.K. Nagarale, and Woonsup Shin; “A Nitrite Biosensor Based on Entrapped Siloxane-Viologen Polymer and Nitrite Reductase”; Electroanalysis 22 (2010) 2389-2398.
24. B. Bhattacharya, R.K. Nagarale, and Pramod K. Singh; “Effect of Sodium-mixed Anion Doping in PEO-based Polymer Electrolytes”;High Performance Polymers 22 (2010) 498-512.
23. R.K. Nagarale*, Woonsup Shin, and Pramod K. Singh; “Progress in Ionic Organic-Inorganic Composite Membranes for Fuel Cell Applications”; Polymer Chemistry 1 (2010) 388-408.
22. Pramod K. Singh, B. Bhattacharya, R.K. Nagarale, S.P. Pandey and Hee-Woo Rhee; “Ionic liquid doped Poly (N-methyl 4-vinylpyridine iodide) Solid Polymer Electrolyte for Dye sensitized solar cell”; Synthetic Metals 160 (2010) 950-954.
21. Pramod K. Singh, S.K. Tomar, R.K. Nagarale, and Hee -Woo Rhee; “Ternary Semiconductor Nanoparticles Embedded in PEO-Polymer Electrolyte Matrix”; Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials 23 (2010) 227-237.
20. Pramod K. Singh, B. Bhattacharya, R.K. Nagarale, Kang-Wook Kim, and Hee-Woo Rhee; “Synthesis, characterization and application of biopolymer-ionic liquid composite membranes”; Synthetic Metals 160 (2010) 139-142.
19. R.K. Nagarale, Jong Myung Lee, and Woonsup Shin; “Electrochemical Properties of Ferrocene Modified Polysiloxane/Chitosan Nanocomposite and Its Application to Glucose Sensor”; Electrochimica Acta 54 (2009) 6508–6514.
18. Pramod K Singh, Kang-Wook Kim, RK Nagarale, and Hee-Woo Rhee; “Preparation, Characterization and Application of Ionic Liquid Doped Solid Polymer Electrolyte Membranes”; Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 42 (2009) 125101.
17. M.Y. Kariduraganavar, R.K. Nagarale, A.A. Kittur, and S.S. Kulkarni; “Ion-Exchange Membranes: Preparative Methods for Electrodialysis and Fuel Cell Applications”; Desalination 197 (2006) 225–246.
16. V.V. Binsu, R.K. Nagarale, Vinod K. Shahi, and P.K. Ghosh; “ Studies On N-methylene Phosphonic acid Chitosan/Poly(Vinylalcohol) Composite Proton-Exchange Membranes”; Reactive and Functional Polymer 66 (2006) 1619-1629 .
15. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, and R. Rangarajan; “Sulfonated Poly(ether ether ketone)/Polyaniline Composite Proton Exchange Membrane”; Journal of Membrane Science 280 (2006) 389-396.
14. G.S. Gohil, R.K. Nagarale, V.V. Binsu, and Vinod K. Shahi; “Preparation and Characterization of Mono-valent Cation Selective Sulfonated Poly(ether ether ketone) and Poly(ether sulfone) Composite Membranes”; Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 298 (2006) 845-853.
13. M.Y. Kariduraganavar, R.K. Nagarale, and S.S. Kulkarni; “Electrodialytic Transport Properties of Heterogeneous Cation-Exchange Membranes Prepared by Gelation and Solvent Evaporation Methods”; Journal of Applied Polymer Science 100 (2006) 198-207.
12. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, and Vinod K. Shahi; “Recent Developments on Ion-exchange Membranes and Electro-membrane Processes”; Advances in Colloid and Interface Science 119 (2006) 97-130.
11. V.V. Binsu, R.K. Nagarale and Vinod K. Shahi; “Phosphonic Acid Functionalzed Aminopropyl Triethoxysilane-PVA Composite Material: Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Proton-Exchange Membranes in Aqueous Media”; Journal of Materials Chemistry 15(45) (2005) 4823-4831.
10.G.S. Gohil, R.K. Nagarale, Vinod K. Shahi, and R. Rangarajan; “Micellar-Enhanced Electrodialysis: Influence of Surfactants on the Transport Properties of Ion-Exchange Membranes”; Separation and Purification Technology 47 (2005) 1-9.
9. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, and R. Rangarajan; “Preparation and Characterization of Organic-Inorganic Composite Anion-Exchange Membranes via Aqueous Dispersion Polymerization and Their Characterization”; Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 287 ( 2005) 198–206
8. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, and R. Rangarajan; “Preparation and Electrochemical Characterization of Sulfonated Polysulfone Cation-Exchange Membranes: Effect of Solvents on Degree of Sulfonation”; Journal of Applied Polymer Science 96 ( 2005) 2344-2351.
7. R.K. Nagarale, Vinod K. Shahi, and R. Rangarajan; “Preparation of Polyvinyl Alcohol-Silica Hybrid Heterogeneous Anion-Exchange Membranes by Sol-Gel Method and Their Characterization”; Journal of Membrane Science 248 (2005) 37–44
6. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, G.S. Trivedi, S.K. Thampy and R. Rangarajan; “Studies on Transport Properties of Short Chain Aliphatic Carboxylic Acids in Electro-Dialytic Separation”; Desalination 171 (2005) 195-204.
5. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, and R. Rangarajan; “Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Membrane: Thermally Stable Cation-Exchange Membrane by Sol-Gel Method”; Macromolecules 37(26) (2004) 10023-10030.
4. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, and R. Rangarajan; “Preparation and Electrochemical Characterizations of Cation-Exchange Membranes With Different Functional Groups”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering aspects 251 (2004) 133-140.
3. R.K. Nagarale, Vinod K. Shahi, S.K. Thampy, and R. Rangarajan; “Studies on Electrochemical Characterization of Polycarbonate and Polysulfone Based Heterogeneous Cation-Exchange Membranes”; Reactive and Functional Polymer 61(2004) 131-138 .
2. R.K. Nagarale, G. S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, G.S. Trivedi, and R. Rangarajan; “Preparation and Electrochemical Characterization of Cation- and Anion-Exchange/Polyaniline Composite Membranes”; Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 277(2004) 162-171 .
1. R.K. Nagarale, Vinod K. Shahi, Rolf Schubert, R. Rangarajan, and R. Mehnert; “Development of Urethane Acrylate Composite Ion-Exchange Membranes and Their Electrochemical Characterization”; Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 270 ( 2004) 446–454.
Papers presented in the International conferences
1. R.K. Nagarale, Junghyun Lee, Jong Myung Lee, Woonsup Shin, “Preparation and Electrochemical Properties of Organic/Inorganic Composite Redox Material” The 99th National meeting of the Korean chemical society, April 19-20 2007.
2. Jong Myung Lee, R.K. Nagarale, Junghyun Lee, Woonsup Shin, “Studies of Alternative Polymers to Nafion for Continuous Discharge of Zn Anode in Physiological Conditions, The 99th National meeting of the Korean chemical society, April 19-20 2007.
3. R.K. Nagarale, Jong Myung Lee, Durai Saravanakumar, Woonsup Shin, “Electron Transport in Ferrocene Functionalized Polysiloxane/Chitosan Composite Material for Enzyme Based Glucose Sensor” The 9th Asian conference on analytical sciences and The 39th convention of the Korean society of analytical science, November 4-8 2007, Ramada plaza Jeju, Jeju Island Korea.
4. Youngjin Park, Jong Myung Lee, Junghyun Lee, R.K. Nagarale, Woonsup Shin, “The Effect of Anions on Zn Anode Discharge and Thickness Limit of Nafion in Continuous Discharge of Zn Anode in Physiological Conditions” The 9th Asian conference on analytical sciences and The 39th convention of the Korean society of analytical science, November 4-8 2007, Ramada plaza Jeju, Jeju Island Korea.
Papers presented in the National conferences
1. Kariduraganavar, M.Y.; U.S. Toti; R.K. Nagarale and T.M. Aminabhavi; “ Electrodialysis-A Method to Produce Drinking Water- A Water Testinasurvey of Dharwad District Villages,” Bharat Ratna Sir M. Vishveshvaraya Memorial National Seminar On Environment Pollution and Management, November 24-25, 2000, at University of Agricultural Science, Dharwad.
2. R.K. Nagarale, S.P. Maradur, T.M. Aminabhavi and M.Y. Kariduraganavar; “Synthesis and Characterization of Anion Exchange Membranes for the Development of Electrodialysis for Purification of Brackish Water” Advanced Polymeric Materials and Environmental Protection for the New Millennium during July 26-27, 2001 at the A. C. College of Technology Building Guindy Chennai.
3. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, R. Rangarajan and P.K. Ghosh; “Sol-gel” a novel method for the preparation of heterogeneous anion-exchange membranes” Presented in National Seminar on MEMBRANE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES February 12-13, 2004 at Regional Research Laboratory, Jorhat.
4. Vinod K. Shahi*, R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, S.K. Thampy and R. Rangarajan, “Concentration of short chain aliphatic carboxylic acids solution by electrodialysis”, Presented in National Seminar on MEMBRANE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES February 12-13, 2004 at Regional Research Laboratory, Jorhat.
5. Vinod K. Shahi, R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, R. Rangarajan, “ Preparation, Characterization and applications of polyaniline Composite Ion-exchange Membranes for Electro-driven Separations”, Presented in National conference on CHEMISTRY IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF NEWER MATERIALS (CDNM-2004) February 23-24, 2004 at Department of chemistry Faculty of science Banaras Hindu University Varanasi-221 005.
6. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, V.K. Shahi, S.K. Thampy, R. Rangarajan and P.K. Ghosh; “Development of Ion-exchange membranes at CSMCRI for Electrodialysis and related processes”, Paper presented in AIChE-IIChE-Indo-US Joint Conference 04, held at Mumbai during Dec. 2004.
7. R.K. Nagarale, G.S. Gohil, Vinod K. Shahi, R. Rangarajan, “Sol-Gel: A Novel Method for the preparation of Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Cation- Exchange Membrane in Aqueous Medium”, presentation at the international conference on advances in polymer blends, composites, ipns and gels: macro to nano scale held at School of Chemical Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, during March 2005.
8. R.K. Nagarale, Junghyun Lee, Jong Myung Lee, Woonsup Shin, “Preparation and Electrochemical Properties of Ferrocene Modified Polysiloxane” Presented at international conference on electroanalytical chemistry and allied topics, Toshali royal view resort shion bang, Simla, March 10-15, 2007.
9. R.K. Nagarale, “Sacrificial dye electrode for nongassing electro-osmotic pumps” Abstract #2515, 224th The Electrochemical Society Meeting, 2013, San Francisco, USA.
Book Chapter: Namdev B. Shelke, Rajaram K. Nagarale, Sangamesh G. Kumbar, “Polyurethanes” 123-139; First edition 2014 ; “Natural and Synthetic Biomedical Polymers”, Edited By Sangamesh G. Kumbar, Cato T. Laurencin, Meng Deng
Ionic polymeric and carbon materials for organic redox flow battery, supercapacitors, tissue and organ regeneration etc. • Electro kinetic insulin pump for diabetes management and infusion devices; • Proton exchange membranes
Design and synthesis of ionic polymers and carbon materials, Electrokinetic devices, insulin pump, glucose sensors, battery and supercapacitors, Ionic membranes and applications in electrochemical devices.